Search by Character-string recognizes any precise string of characters, numerals, spaces, and punctuation marks. Phrases can be searched as well.
- court retrieves records that include court, courts, courtesie, courtliness, etc.
- cour retrieves all those records, plus those that include courage, Cour de Lionn, course, discourse, recourse, etc.
- court followed by a space will retrieve only those records that include the word court.
- courtly love will retrieve records that include the phrase.
- Review of English Studies 64 retrieves all records in volume 64 of RES.
- Review English Studies retrieves no records because no record includes that sequence of characters.
Search by Specific Fields enables more refined searches, restricted by data-field (author/editor, title, date, etc.) and delimiters (contains, does not contain, starts with, etc.), both available in drop-down menus. Specific Field searches can be combined using And / Or options and they can be used alone or in combination with Character-string searches.
- Use AND function to combine Author / Editor search with Contributor search in order to find illustrators, composers, performers, etc.
- Use OR function to combine a Description search of “juvenile” with a Description search of "adolescent” in order to retrieve records pertinent to young adult materials.
- Use Gower Subject search to find studies that pertain to individual works by Gower [e.g., Vox Clamantis; see list below].
Gower Subjects include the following:
- Backgrounds and General Studies
- Bibliographies, Reports, and Reference
- Biography of Gower
- Cinkante Balades
- Confessio Amantis
- Cronica Tripertita
- Facsimiles, Editions, and Translations
- In Praise of Peace
- Influence and Later Allusion
- Language and Word Studies
- Manuscripts and Textual Studies
- Minor Latin Poetry
- Mirour de l’Omme (Speculum Meditantis)
- Sources, Analogues, and Literary Relations
- Style, Rhetoric, and Versification
- Traité pour Essampler les Amants Marietz
- Vox Clamantis